Avantguard®: Redefining anti-corrosion
High-performance Avantguard® protective coatings have been proven to deliver significantly higher galvanic corrosion protection than zinc primers without Avantguard® technology as well as enabling barrier and inhibitor corrosion protection. The unique formulation also improves the coating’s mechanical strength and provides greater working tolerances.
Based on activated zinc, high-performance Hempadur Avantguard® protective primer coatings are specified for tough C4 and C5 corrosive conditions. Avantguard® coatings can be used in all types of applications, from offshore oil & gas installations to heavy-duty industry manufacturing and infrastructure projects, but are specially aimed at structures in tough environments that will benefit from low maintenance costs and long maintenance intervals.
Avantguard® is redefining protection, durability and productivity
The advanced protection, improved mechanical strength and application properties of Hempadur Avantguard® coatings have been proven in extensive tests.
• Redefining protection: Reduced rust creep ((ISO 20340) & Norsok M 501, revision 6) and excellent corrosion resistance (ISO 12944)
• Redefining durability: Improved crack resistance (thermal cycling resistance test) and reduced cracking at low and high dry film thicknesses (NACE cracking test and Hempel welding test)
• Redefining productivity: High tolerance to different climatic conditions: application tests (under extreme thickness, temperature and humidity)
The full overview of Avantguard® - watch the videos
• Hempadur Avantguard® 750: Anti-corrosive performance in compliance with Norsok M-501, which is faster curing, easy to apply and retains its properties, even at excessive application
• Hempadur Avantguard® 550: A fast-curing and easy-to-apply coating offering anti-corrosive performance in compliance with ISO C5-I High
How Avantguard® works
Thanks to activated zinc, Avantguard® gives you novel 3-in-1 advanced corrosion protection.
• High formation of zinc salts in the scribe area improves galvanic protection
• Zinc salts throughout the film increase barrier properties to lower water permeability
• Capturing chloride ions creates a powerful inhibition effect to combat rust creep
Avantguard®’s innovative formulation also results in improved mechanical strength, so it is much less likely to crack during operation than other coatings on the market.
The unique formulation
Zinc-rich primers have been around since the 1960s. But back in 2007, Hempel’s R&D teammade an important discovery: only one-third of the zinc in a standard zinc epoxy protective coating has any anti-corrosive effect. Our team spent more than 8,000 hours in the lab to find an answer. The solution is the Avantguard® technology, which uses a unique combination of zinc dust, hollow glass spheres and a proprietary activator to activate more zinc in the coating.